Failure Analysis and Pipeline Corrosion Assessments
Cormetrics lab facilities are custom suited for failure analysis and corrosion assessments. We perform corrosion analyses ranging from downhole failures, production pipelines, facility piping and more. With our in-house equipment and expert knowledge & experience we can accommodate all your failure and corrosion assessment needs.
OUR CAPABILITIES INCLUDE:
- System Description: This includes operating conditions, flow characteristics/modeling, production volumes, gas/liquid hydrocarbon analyses, system history and any other relevant information.
- Water Chemistry: Discussion of water analysis, including scaling and corrosion tendencies- Validity of the water analysis is checked.
- Sample Description: Description of sample as received including measurements and digital photographs as well as any other significant observations prior to any analysis being performed.
- Sample Examination: Detailed description of all analysis performed in the laboratory including any spot tests and observations during and after cleaning of wall scale and corrosion products. Inhibited acid cleaning is used to preserve the fine details of the corrosion damaged surface. Mechanical properties of the sample as well as microstructure may be checked to ensure the material meets the expected specifications.
- X-Ray Diffraction Analysis: Any significant/relevant scale and corrosion product will be sampled and analyzed by XRD. Identification of the nature of solids associated with a failure is often critical to understanding corrosion modes.
- Degradation Mechanism: A detailed discussion of the root cause(s) of the failure and of any contributing factors will be presented. The role played by system parameters, operating methods and mitigation practices is usually discussed.
- Conclusions & Recommendations: Clear and concise statements of conclusions are presented. Considering restrictions of the system, recommendations are made to avoid occurrence of further failures.
Corrosion assessment of a pipe segment will document the as received pipe condition and extent of corrosion activity. Activity entails splitting and cleaning of sample to allow documentation of corrosion activity.
Corrosion assessment of a pipe segment in comparison to ILI inspection data will document the as received pipe condition and extent of corrosion activity in comparison to reported ILI inspection data. Activity entails splitting and cleaning of sample to allow documentation of corrosion activity.